Sports Development Internship Program
Tacoma South Sound Sports (TSSS) promotes Tacoma and the South Sound region as a destination for major amateur sporting events and assists in the development of amateur athletic programs throughout the region. These activities help maximize the host potential of area sports venues and result in economic and quality of life benefits for the residents and businesses of our community.
Tacoma South Sound Sports offers an internship program – during the fall, spring, or summer academic semesters – to undergraduate university students. A background in sports administration, sports marketing, sports management, communications, or journalism and a passion for sports are preferred.
Hours: Earned hours will go toward college credit; hours will vary depending on number of credits desired and school requirements.
The Sports Development Intern will support both the Sports Development Director and the Executive Director. The applicant would need to have strong administrative and communication skills, with the ability to multi-task. Based on the skill sets of the person filling this position, it is expected that they will handle their assigned duties, but will also have the flexibility to gain experience pertaining to career goals.
Administrative / Management:
General Office: Copy, fax, mail, ship, and file materials as needed. Manage inbound TPCSC emails and responded accordingly.
- Event Management: Assist with coordinating TPCSC sponsored events, receptions and networking functions.
- Database Maintenance/Organization: Input, update, manage and organize information into TPCSC database/filing system. This may include venues, partners, contacts, etc.
- Research: Utilize the internet and other resources to support the TPCSC with various research projects and have the ability to report findings in a clear and organized manner.
Website Maintenance: Ensure content in the TPCSC website (www.tacomasports.org) is correct and updated. Gather and/or provide new events and information as needed.
- The intern will become familiar with the TPCSC website and make recommendations for changes to the site (training provided).
- Research sports clubs and organizations, communicate with appropriate contacts; create links on site for access to specific clubs and organizations.
- Write press releases for TPCSC events and projects.
- Social Media: Assist the TPCSC in utilizing social media to garner interest and support for events and activities.
- Collateral Materials: Assist TPCSC staff with developing, creating, distributing, and updating informational and sales/marketing collateral.
- Bid Coordination: Assist Sports Development Director, as well as the Executive Director, in submitting bids for events.
Enrolled in an academic program consistent with marketing and management in the sports industry
- Available to work some weekends and evenings during events.
- Prior sports related experience preferred and helpful
- Reliable Transportation
- Ability to lift 50lbs.
Excellent writing skills
- Computer skills using Microsoft Office software applications such as Excel, Word and Publisher, and Internet.
Resume and letter of interest detailing how your skill set and experience make you an ideal candidate for an internship with Tacoma South Sound Sports should be sent to:
Dean Burke at email@example.com
or call 253-284-3259 for more information.
Qualified applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview. This process will focus on TSSS's time and event requirements and the experience and goals of the students.