Enough of vacations or even stay-cations! This summer clear a weekend for a family play-cation. Grab the sunscreen and head outside for some fun—and play. Between the mountain, the city and the sea, here are some ideas to get your play-cation planning started.
NW Trek Wildlife Park and Zip Wild Course
This South Sound favorite is the perfect place to learn about Northwest wildlife. Take in the bears, birds and bison—and many more animals—while riding on the Discovery Tram through the park. And once you’ve seen the park from the ground level, head to Zip Wild, NW Trek’s zipline challenge course where you can fly above the tree canopy. There are five zipline courses to choose from including the adrenaline pumping Sensation Course and a Super Kid Course for the little ones.
- Cost: NW Trek Park tickets vary by age and Zip Wild tickets vary by course
- Reservations may be required for zipline courses
Attend a Tacoma Rainiers Game
Cheer on the home team at Cheney Stadium, but don’t forget to warm up before the game starts! Practice your swings and pitches at the Family Pavilion, near the berm. This regulation Wiffle ball field is the only one in Tacoma and perfect for the whole family. When you’re done playing ball, spend time in the playground climbing and swinging before heading back to the R’s game. Best of all, kids can take their moves to the main field during the final inning of Saturday and Sunday games to run the bases.
- Cost: Tickets are $11 each
- Keep an eye on promotional events for special family-friendly deals
Mount Rainer Junior Ranger Program
This activity-based program is offered in most national parks across the country, including the hometown favorite Mount Rainier National Park. Spend a day on the mountain learning about wildlife, flora and fauna and what makes our mountain so special. The Junior Ranger program comes with a workbook, ranger-led hikes and the chance to earn a Junior Ranger patch and certificate.
- Cost: Mount Rainier National Park entry is $30 per car
- Meet inside the Visitor Center for the Junior Ranger program
Kayak & SUP Rentals
Take the family on a paddle through the South Sound waterways and beaches under the gaze of Mount Rainier. Count how many seals and eagles you can spot! And once you’ve anchored shore-side, search for buried treasure by beach combing at low tide.
- Cost: Kayak and SUP rentals are available at Point Defiance and the Thea Foss Waterway (prices vary)
Mark Your Calendar
- 26-26: USA BMX Lumberjack Nationals
- 26: Tacoma Rainiers vs. El Paso Chihuahuas
- 29: Sounders 2 vs. Saint Louis FC
- 2: Sounders 2 vs. Orange County SC
- 22: Tacoma Waterfront Sea Kayak Tour (requires advance registration)
For more happenings, visit the Sports Commission’s events calendar.